In this episode, Randi and Nathaniel discuss the marine iguana. And no, marine iguanas are NOT reptilian service members–they’re sea foraging lizards.
Marine iguanas occupy an ecological niche in the Galápagos Islands, and boy are they uggos. Marine iguanas forage for food largely in the water, with some larger males diving for up to an hour at a time. This behavior lends to their ugly appearance: they have flat noses to help with swimming and sharp teeth to graze for algae and other foods. They also tend to have white crust around their faces–this is sea salt they expel from their nose via sneezing. Join Randi and Nathaniel as they mercilessly mock this animal. Learn about their predators (which include racer snakes), their diet (sometimes they eat sea lion afterbirth), and Charles Darwin’s sick burns on the poor things (he called marine iguanas “disgusting clumsy lizards”). Tune in to find out if marine iguanas are GREAT, or just okay.
This episode contains the following segments:
- “I Think I Could Take It” — Nathaniel gets into a pickle after hitting on a former marine marine iguana’s girlfriend.
- “What Do You Think It Tastes Like”– I mean… really, what do you think they taste like?
In this episode, Randi and Nathaniel discuss the common hippopotamus. In the process, Nathaniel reveals his deep, deep fear of hippos.
In this episode, Nathaniel and Randi decide to try improv, but demonstrate remarkable incompetence. We also remember to talk about hippos. Hippos are megafauna, just like the extinct giant sloths our intrepid hosts discussed in the previous podcast. Although they’re herbivores, hippos are aggressive and very territorial. That’s okay, they only live in certain areas of Africa, right? WRONG. There are also hippos in South America. But how?? Listen to the episode to find out if they’re GREAT, or just okay.
This episode includes the following segments:
- “I Think I Could Take It” — Nathaniel takes a job at a hippo nursery. What could possibly go wrong?
- “What Do You Think It Tastes Like?” — Randi delves into the history behind hippo meat, and one plucky U.S. Senator’s attempt to import hippos to Louisiana.
- Special Guest Interview — Tune in for an exclusive interview with Ammit, the Egyptian goddess and eater of the dead.